Friday, May 25, 2007

Employment law: Kroll study on background checks

I got notice about this report and read the summary. I certainly did not have time to read the full report. Here is the point of the summary:

Criminal record “hits” increased more than ½ a point from 8.5% in 2005 to 9.1% in 2006. Further, applicants stretched the truth more often in 2006 than in 2005, as proven by increases in past employment verifications and education verifications.
The following link leads to the Summary which has a link to the full report: Summary link.

I am chewing over just what this means. How does this apply to litigating a negligent employment claim? From only reading the summary, I am thinking plaintiffs and defendants both will be doing a lot of arguing about the reasonableness of the employer's reliance on background checks. Oh, yeah, I see the agency doing the background check being added to the lawsuit by the defendant.

So much information and so little knowledge.