Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Interesting post on flat fees - for the client

Until I read How to prove savings from a fixed-fee arrangement,I had not considered what flat fees look like from a client's perspective. I thought clients only considered - should consider maybe - that a flat fee brings some predictability to legal fees. Maybe I am wrong about this as I find it hard convincing business clients that some services can be handled on a flat fee bases.

I am looking at overhauling the fee structure for my family law/divorce side of my practice. I have enough of the documents automated that an hourly rate is unjustified. I know what work needs to be done in what circumstances and I want to restructure my fee agreements to reflect this reality. I want to follow up this idea on the civil and business side.