Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Franchising Epiphany

Before explaining what caused the epiphany, let me explain what is an epiphany. After all, I have heard some strange uses of the word. Here is the relevant part of the definition:

3. a. A sudden manifestation of the essence or meaning of something.
b. A comprehension or perception of reality by means of a sudden intuitive realization
This epiphany occurred while reading Rush on Business Blog's Franchise Due Diligence: Ask what they don't do well:
He says this evoked the best responses from franchisees when he conducted his due diligence. If you are considering a franchise be sure to talk to as many franchisees as possible. Speaking to only a handful is not enough
Frankly, I am quite annoyed at myself for not thinking about this when I was in-house counsel for a franchisor. Great advice for a potential franchisee.