Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Online Resource: Startup Company Lawyer

Startup Company Lawyer is a lawyer's blog out of California. Here is a description of the writer and the blog:

Yoichiro (”Yokum”) Taku is a corporate and securities partner in the Palo Alto, California office of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati. My WSGR web bio is here.

WSGR represents:
• more than 20% of the companies receiving venture financing each year;
• more U.S. companies in their initial public offerings than any other law firm worldwide; and
• more technology companies in mergers and acquisitions than any other U.S. law firm.

I represent technology and growth companies at all stages of development, through private financings, strategic transactions, public offerings, and mergers and acquisitions. I also represent investors in venture capital financings. I also advise numerous entrepreneurs from initial company formation to liquidity event. At any time, I typically represent several startup companies seeking venture financing, private companies that have received financing, and publicly traded companies.

My reading of the blog impressed me with the writing about financing - which is not a subject I tend to write about here. It is my opinion that financing a new business is the biggest obstacle between a good business idea and a business.