Workforce Management has The Most Common HIPAA Privacy Mistakes Employers Make:
The article details the following mistakes:After making initial compliance efforts, many employers may have put the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 on the back burner. Here are the common mistakes that have been made by employers and other HIPAA-covered entities since the act went into effect in 2003.
- Failing to comply with the security rules
- Disregarding FSAs or wellness programs
- Failing to train/retrain workers
- Ignoring state privacy laws
- Failing to update the notice of privacy practices and/or send the three-year reminder
- Failing to maintain a written procedure for investigating and resolving privacy complaints