Saturday, April 25, 2009

Why Should You Not to Do Your Own Will

I suggest reading all of Tim Kalamaros's post Pro se or "do it yourself" wills on his "Teklaw" blog. Here is the first on his list reasons not to write your own Will.

1-- Even if the will is drawn up correctly, do I know how to publish and witness it correctly under the law of the place where it will be signed? Do I know who is a proper witness under the law and who is not?
Let me chime in and say that a Will is probably the least expensive and one of the most important legal documents you can have but there are some rules that must be followed. Not following the rules increases the probability that your cost saving measures will fund a college education for a lawyer's or several lawyer's children.

If you want to use Willmaker or some other computer package to draft a Will, I say fine. I think the price of the software is right for that purpose. Take the draft to a lawyer of your choice and let them review and fix any problems.

Meanwhile, go over to "Teklaw" and check out the article in full.