Saturday, January 26, 2008

Employment law; Background checks

I had not thought of till I ran across US Public Records. This site provides a good example of what the Internet contains for finding records. I have no ideas about the quality of the information provided - I am old enough to remember GIGO - so I am a bit leery. As should any potential employer. (GIGO = Garbage In, Garbage Out).

The informational problems notwithstanding, these sites and their services provide the means for about any size business to get information on potential employees. I am not aware of any cases where a business has not gone to a pay site but been liable for negligent employment. I suspect we will see that some day. I suggest reading my earlier articles on background checks: Does your business do background checks? and Kroll study on background checks.